A Priory Adult Care (formerly Amore Care) home in Bedfordshire has been praised following an unannounced routine inspection by the Care Quality Commission (CQC).
CQC inspectors found that Potton House in Biggleswade, which is designed for older people with dementia, is providing quality services. The care and welfare of residents, safeguarding, management of medicines and record keeping were all part of the inspection’s focus.
Aspects of the home that were singled out for praise by the regulator’s report included:
- Its 'calm and relaxed atmosphere'
- ‘Staff supported people to participate in activities of their choice, at a pace that was appropriate to them’
- Residents said ‘they felt happy and safe living at the home’. Inspectors ‘saw examples of this in the delivery of care, where privacy and dignity were respected’
- Care plans were found to be ‘person-centred and reflected individual wishes and preferred routines’
- Staff were observed to be ‘knowledgeable about people’s specific care needs’
- ‘People were encouraged to participate in activities. A weekly activity schedule was in place for people, but alternatives were offered by the activity coordinator if people changed their minds’
Improvements in the levels of service and care at Potton House, following a previous CQC inspection, have been driven by the appointment of a new manager Mandy Parsons, a mental health trained nurse, who has substantial experience in both the NHS and the care home sector.
Priory Adult Care (formerly Amore Care) is about to invest in a major refurbishment of the premises.
This will comprise the redecoration of the bedrooms, lounges, communal areas, the fitting of new carpets and the installation of new furniture.
The revamp, which will be phased from July to October, also will include the outside space with the creation of a sensory garden.
Mandy said: “My team and I are dedicated to maintaining a caring, comfortable and dignified environment for our residents and it is satisfying that the standards we are achieving have been endorsed by independent inspectors.
“Providing support and stimulation to help meet residents’ individual interests, choices and needs to enhance their quality of life are among the core values at Potton House.
“We and the residents are looking forward to further improvements being made to the home with a major refurbishment due to start in July.”
Situated in Biggleswade, Bedfordshire, the home offers a supportive environment with en-suite bedrooms and comfortable lounge areas and has a dedicated team of staff who ensure it meets residents’ individual care and social needs.
It prides itself on providing fresh home cooked food using locally sourced ingredients.
For more information on the specialist services Priory Adult Care can offer, please call the enquiries and referrals team on 0808 208 2147 or click here to make an enquiry.