Priory Supported Living Whitby & Scarborough
Priory Supported Living Whitby & Scarborough supports people with learning disabilities and mental health needs to live the lives that they choose. Our specialist support enables people to live happy and fulfilling lives in their own homes within their communities.
Our focus at Priory Supported Living Whitby & Scarborough is on supporting people to develop independence and achieve their goals. We work in a person-centred way, carefully matching our support and care to the unique needs, preferences and aspirations of each individual.
Support plans are developed in partnership with each individual and we agree together how we will support them to be as independent as possible. We also listen to the views of their families and the professionals who may be supporting them.
With a range of specialist residential placements also in the area, we can offer unique care pathways for those we support.
Our supported living services
Priory Supported Living Whitby & Scarborough provides support up to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including 1:1 support. We provide help across a range of areas to enable individuals to lead more enriching and fulfilling lives. This includes:
- Specialist support for people with learning disabilities and mental health needs to live the life that they choose
- Domiciliary care and support with aspects of everyday life, such as personal care, healthy eating, medication, maintaining the home, paying bills, shopping, budgeting and maintaining tenancies
- Support to access benefits including direct payments and personal budgets
- Community outreach services; support with becoming more confident, participating in community related activities and maintaining family contacts
- Improvement in quality of life irrespective of illness or disability
- 24 hour support available if needed providing choice, participation and inclusion
- Support to access education, voluntary and paid employment opportunities
Flexible, person-centred support
We specialise in supporting people with learning disabilities and mental health needs to be as independent as possible, both in their own home and within their local community.
At Priory Supported Living Whitby & Scarborough, we work in partnership with people to ensure that they have control over the way their support is provided. Our focus is on enabling people to achieve their goals and to reach their true potential.
The support available at Priory Supported Living Whitby & Scarborough includes:
- Finances and economic wellbeing, including budgeting and debt management
- Maintaining accommodation
- Employment, volunteering, education and training
- Relationships with family and friends
- Leisure, cultural and faith activities
- Developing self-confidence and community involvement
- Mental and emotional health
- Physical health, including exercise and healthy eating
- Domestic and living skills, including cooking, shopping and public transport
- Moving to independent accommodation
A range of accommodation options available
Priory Supported Living Whitby & Scarborough has established partnerships with housing providers in the area and we are proud of the quality and range of our accommodation schemes. These include self-contained apartments and shared living. Our tenants' homes are comfortable and modern, with easy access to amenities and transport links.
We can provide help with tenancy agreements where needed, giving people the security of their own homes. By understanding each person’s needs and aspirations, we can agree together the type of accommodation and locations that might work best for them.
Achieving positive outcomes
Priory Supported Living Whitby & Scarborough empowers people to achieve the best possible outcomes by giving them greater choice and control over how they live their lives. We encourage each individual to reach their potential by delivering specialist person-centred support that enables them to lead a life that is more enriching and fulfilling.
We are proud that our residents achieve greater independence, find employment and fully integrate into their communities. Our services deliver measurable results for both local authorities and the people we support.
To gain an insight into our services, the way we work and the outcomes you can expect, please take a look at some of our recent success stories:
Leo* had been in and out of a mental health hospital for most of his life, before he was supported to move into a flat that is part of Priory Supported Living Whitby & Scarborough. Leo has mental health needs including a diagnosis of schizophrenia.
When he first moved into his flat, Leo was reluctant to engage with the team supporting him and barely left his new home. As time went on, his two Key Workers built positive and trusting relationships with Leo, who gradually felt comfortable enough to share his thoughts and concerns with them.
Leo’s diagnosis meant that he could sometimes forget to take his medication. His support team took over managing this, ensuring that he always took the dosage he had been prescribed. Leo’s mental health improved rapidly as a result.
This improvement in his wellbeing opened up a range of opportunities for Leo, including being supported to develop his independence skills. The team helped Leo to manage his finances, to understand budgeting and how to pay his bills.
The transformation in Leo since he began living at the Priory Supported Living Whitby & Scarborough has been significant. He has become much more confident and independent and recently applied for an apprenticeship, for which he attended an interview. Leo’s next goal is to learn to drive, which the team will be supporting him with. It is likely that Leo will move on to independent accommodation in the next few months.
*Name has been changed to maintain confidentiality.